Q. Hi I burnt my throat 4 days ago eating hot food… swallowed rather of spitting it out as I was out for supper and it is still extremely painful. I stll can not eat whole food and have been pureeing all my food.
Can anybody inform me how to reduce the pain and likewise for how long this is going to last, I’m at my wits end as my stomach can not deal with anymore pain relief as I had toothache for 2 weeks prior and now this… depressing. Help please.
The majority of us struggled with a scorched mouth/ tongue after having gulped down a hot beverage or some piping hot food at some point or the other. However, swallowing food or liquids that are too hot might sometimes result in a scorched throat too.
Burned Throat Symptoms
Some people likewise experience a sore, burning sensation in their throat after throwing up a number of times, as the stomach juices and acids come into direct contact with the throat tissues.
You will know that you are struggling with a scorched throat when the area feels actually raw and sore all the time. You will also experience other pains like:
- severe pain
- irritation and itchiness
- difficulty in swallowing
- severe dryness.
Because a scorched throat does not appear like a serious issue, the majority of us have the tendency to ignore it and let it recover by itself (don’t despair). Left neglected, this condition typically takes about a week to ten days to obtain much better.
Speak with your health care provider to talk about any possible threats or if your condition worsens.
How to Heal Burned Throat?
You can try to reduce the painful symptoms and speed up the recovery procedure by following a few easy self-care steps at home:
- Drink on some cold milk or have a few spoons of cold, unflavored yogurt.
- Draw on an ice-cube, some ice chips or a frozen popsicle for temporary relief.
- Allow all your foods and beverages to cool for 5 to 10 minutes, before consuming them.
- Prevent any foods that are spicy, sharp, hot, sour, crispy or crisp.
- Drink lots of fluids, especially plain, cool water, during the day.
- Rinse with cold water, at routine intervals, around 3 to 4 times a day.
- Have a spoon or more of honey, as it relieves inflammation and restores burned tissue.
- Take an over-the-counter pain reliever, to eliminate the severe ache in your throat.
- Attempt some lozenges or cough drops to alleviate the irritation and itchy feeling in the throat.
You might also use liquid Aloe Vera as a mouthwash, by rinsing with about half a cup daily. This will soothe the charred area, enabling the tissues to recover quicker.
While a scorched throat is not a serious medical condition, it must be inspected and treated without any hold-up. This is due to the fact that it can lead to complications like:
- Breathing problems (since of excess swelling).
For that reason, if the throat does not appear to obtain any much better within 3 or 4 days in spite of following the home treatment actions pointed out above, it is essential that you speak with a doctor. It is likewise best to consult a doctor before taking any medication for the scorched throat.
Good luck! Have a nice weekend!