Dryness of the skin both outside the ear and in the ear canal may indicate different ear and/or skin conditions. In this article, we will look at the most common causes of dry skin in the ears, as well as methods of treating this problem.
What is Dry Skin in Ears?
For some people, having dry skin in ears is just a moderate irritant they live with, while for the other huge majority dry skin in ears is discomforting as the accompanying symptoms are simply too annoying and in some cases can be rather embarrassing.
Have you seen dry skin in your ear canals? Or dry skin behind your ears? Are you believing that it would simply go away? Dry flaky skin in ears might be an allergic reaction or it could just be a symptom of an underlying medical disorder.
Symptoms of Dry Skin in Ears
Dry skin in ears can manifest in many methods:
- Dry skin in ear canals– You may observe that you have actually collected dry flaky skin in ear canals and sometimes the flakes can be seen on your pillow after a nap.
- Dry skin behind ears– You might notice dry flaky/crusty skin behind your ears, dry skin around hairline and ears, and even on the earlobe.
- Itchy ears– Sometimes, the ear canal, ear lobe and even the skin behind the ears can get itchy and this can be rather embarrassing particularly in an office.
- Peeling skin on the ears can be as an outcome of extreme scratching to alleviate itching
- Dry flaky eyebrows which can sometimes be itchy
- Reddened skin in ear canal, earlobe and even the surrounding skin
- There can be also pain in the ear and ear cartilage and blistering skin from bruises from the regular scratches
What Causes Dry Skin in Ears?
Dry skin in ears might be as an outcome of many conditions. It could be due to lifestyle/daily habits, allergies and even some medical conditions.
- Due to lifestyle. Some daily habits like cleaning up the ear canal too frequently can cause the ear canal to become dry, flaky or crusty as all the wax which oils the canal has actually been cleaned up off.
- Also for regular swimmers, swimming in chlorinated pool can also cause dry crusty skin in ears due to chlorinated water causing dryness.
- Usage of severe soaps or body cleans that strip the skin of oil particularly in individuals with dry skin offers increase to dry flaky skin on hairline and ear and likewise dry itchy flaky eyebrows
- Smoking cigarettes triggers skin dryness normally
- Dry skin in ear canal frequently develops as a natural part of the aging procedure.
Due to Allergic Reaction
People have various body reactions to specific things. For some individuals, they have an allergy to particular beauty products (hairsprays, shampoos, hair dye, etc) or perhaps nickel ear rings which can cause itchy dry skin in ears, which in turn leads to extreme itching that triggers reddening of the ear lobe and even pain in the ear cartilage.
Due to Medical Conditions
Some medical conditions can trigger dry skin in ears:
Dry skin in ears may be caused by existing ear infections. Ear infections are typically of 2 kinds — otitis externa and otitis media. Otitis externa is an infection of the external ear; the outer is the noticeable part of the ear, while otitis media is an infection of the middle ear which is not noticeable for all. These ear infections can trigger itchy flaky skin in ears and are typically accompanied by pain and soreness of the surrounding area.
Some skin problem can also cause dry skin in ear. Common skin disorders like seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis and eczema are leading medical causes of dry skin in ears.
This is a skin condition with an unidentified direct cause and normally causes itchy, dry, flaky skin in ears, around the eyebrows, hairline and nose. The skin might also end up being split, sore and secondarily infected by bacteria
Psoriasis and eczema are likewise common reasons for dry, flaky skin inside the ear and behind the ears.
There are various treatment options for dry skin in ears, however to treat successfully one needs to figure out the cause and treat appropriately.
For daily habits, lifestyle changes would be required.
- The overzealous ear cleaners would do well to keep in mind that wax is actually good for the ear. Do not remove your ears of natural lubrication by cleaning with cotton buds or q tips often.
- Usage of tight swim caps while swimming to avoid chlorinated water getting into the ear canal would go a long way for swimmers.
- Usage of sunscreen to prevent sunburn and likewise drinking plenty of water to help keep one hydrated
For allergies, examine your individual care products and find that shampoo or hair color that might perhaps be causing the irritation. It would likewise be good if you would utilize non-nickel earrings moving forward if you have an allergy history. Hair shampoos that consist of zinc pyrithione, ketoconazole or selenium sulfide as an active component also help in alleviating itchy symptoms.
For ear infections and chronic skin conditions, go to a physician as moisturizing the skin alone will not cure these diseases and alleviating the symptoms is only a momentary step.
Use of natural home remedy goes a long method in symptom relief of dry skin in ears.
Home Remedies for Dry Skin in Ears
- Hydrate with cooling based creams: Moisturizing with creams like petroleum jelly or aloe vera based lotions can help ease the dryness in the ear lobe and the surrounding skin. These moisturizers ought to not be applied inside the ear canal.
- Usage Olive Oil: A drop of warm olive oil inside the ear canal helps keep the ear canal oiled. A drop of oil one or two times a week suffices and the ear is rubbed to spread the oil equally.
- Usage of Garlic Oil: A drop or two of garlic oil helps not just to eliminate dryness however also helps in infections, as garlic has actually been found to have an antibacterial property.
- Use of Vinegar: Vinegar has actually also been discovered to be a reliable solution for dry skin in ears, though it must not be utilized alone or pure: dilute vinegar is mixed with some rubbing alcohol for finest outcomes.