Some people experience irregular experience of something sneaking and crawling underneath the skin of their arm. This makes the person to move his arm continually to get relief. The condition is known as restless arm syndrome (RAS).
Normally the strange sensation happens while resting during the night. Patient suffering from it for that reason discovers challenging to sleep during the night. The impacted individual gets relief just when he constantly moves and stretches his arm.
Restless arm syndrome can impact any specific, however the condition is more common with growing age. Males and women are equally influenced. Precise cause of this syndrome is unknowned.
Restless arm syndrome may aggravate if left unattended. Simple way of life changes and medications will substantially decrease this irregular feeling.
What Causes Restless Arm Syndrome?
For the most parts, doctors do unknown the cause of restless arm syndrome; nevertheless, they think that genes play a role. Almost half of individuals with RAS likewise have a family member with the condition.
Scientists are yet to find the specific cause of restless arm syndrome. An imbalance in dopamine, a chemical in brain which controls muscle motion is believed to be accountable for it.
- Genetics: People dealing with restless arm syndrome in early age have possibility of family history of same condition.
- Stress: A person prone to this condition is more likely experience tingling and crawling sensation under stressful situation.
- Diabetes: Diabetics struggling with peripheral neuropathy are most likely to experience this kind of pain in arm and hands.
- Pregnancy: Some women during their last trimester establish restless arm syndrome due to modifications in hormonal balance. The symptoms normally vanish after pregnancy. Some women experience RAS during pregnancy, specifically in the last trimester. Symptoms usually go away within a month after delivery.
- Iron deficiency anemia: People experiencing bleeding conditions, women dealing with severe loss of blood during menses, individuals contributing blood consistently may have exhaustion of iron storage resulting in iron deficiency anemia which may set off uneasyness in their arm.
- Drugs: Some types of medications, including antinausea drugs, antipsychotic drugs, some antidepressants, and cold and allergic reaction medications consisting of sedating antihistamines, might get worse symptoms.
- Renal failure: People struggling with kidney failure might have low red cell and low hemoglobin. This results in iron deficiency anemia, subsequently producing restless arm syndrome.
- Folic acid and vitamin B12 shortage which is common among alcoholics is presumed to play a role in development of restless arm syndrome.
- Chronic diseases. Particular chronic illness and medical conditions, consisting of iron deficiency, Parkinson’s disease, kidney failure, diabetes, and peripheral neuropathy typically include symptoms of RAS. Treating these conditions typically offers some relief from RAS symptoms.
Other elements, sleep deprivation, may trigger symptoms or make them even worse. Improving sleep in these cases might eliminate symptoms.
Symptoms of Restless Arm Syndrome
Patient suffering from restless arm syndrome has normal irregular experience in his arm. The feeling of crawling, tingling, sneaking, and burning make him restless.
This happens when patient is at rest specifically while sleeping often awakening him. He feels better with moving his upper limbs or while walking. The feeling quickly returns when he becomes non-active.
Disturbance during sleep as an outcome of this discomforting feeling can take its toll throughout the daytime activity. He might feel drowsy and tired during day as an outcome of absence of sleep. The severity of symptoms greatly differs from someone to another.
Home Remedies for Restless Arm Syndrome
Restless arm syndrome is not life threatening condition however it can make the life of an individual unpleasant. Modification in way of life and usage of particular medicines is helpful in decreasing the episodes. Gradually the condition is cured.
- Medicines utilized for Parkinsonism and epilepsy are found effective in alleviating restless arm syndrome.
- Because stress has significant effect on body and numerous body hormonal agents, aim to live stress free life.
- If you are diabetic, manage your blood sugar level. Keep a look at your sugar level from time to time. Take your anti diabetic medicines routinely.
- Prevent excessive intake of tea, coffee, as these stimulants are understood to get worse the symptoms.
- Moderate exercise such as walking for half hour daily is advantageous in minimizing the symptoms.
- Eat healthy food that offers all nutrients. Eat foods that are rich in iron if you are anemic.
- Applying cold and warm compresses at the same time works in dealing with the strange experience in arms.
Good luck! Have a nice weekend!