Migraine headaches are one of the 20 most debilitating medical conditions worldwide, according to the World Health Company.
A migraine is characterized by a throbbing pain, normally restricted to one side of the head, that has the tendency to become worse with movement. They normally last from four to 72 hours.
Causes and Symptoms of Migraines
Symptoms tend to differ from someone to another. Individuals frequently experience sensory indication, such as blind spots, flashes of light, increased sensitivity to light and noise, tingling in the limbs, nausea and vomiting.
Signs like irritation, food yearnings, a stiff neck, constipation and regular yawning may also occur a couple of days prior to a migraine attack.
About 75 percent of all migraine patients have a family history of this incapacitating problem. The complex condition is believed to be brought on by changes in brain chemicals.
Some potential triggers for a migraine are allergies, stress, smoking cigarettes, bright lights, loud noises, strong smells, avoiding meals, dehydration, irregular sleep, bad posture, low blood glucose and hormone variations.
Home Remedies for Migraines and Headaches
Though there is no recognized cure for migraines, you can attempt some natural home remedies to get remedy for migraine headaches and reduce their frequency.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Being a nutritional powerhouse, apple cider vinegar helps reduce migraines. Apple cider vinegar also offers health benefits like helping cleansing, managing blood sugar level, managing hypertension, decreasing bone pain, promoting weight loss and relieving constipation.
- Include one tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar to a glass of water.
- Mix in one tablespoon of honey.
- Consume this day-to-day to avoid in addition to reward migraines.
If you are not utilized to taking apple cider vinegar, start by taking one teaspoon and slowly increase the amount. Throughout migraine attacks or when you feel them beginning, you can take two or three tablespoons.
Utilizing an ice bag is maybe the most popular home solution to obtain rid of tension as well as migraine headaches. It has a numbing effect that eases pain.
- Wrap a couple of ice cubes in a clean towel and place it on your temples, forehead and/or the back of your neck for 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat as required.
- You can likewise attempt rotating hot and cold compresses for about 15 minutes, as needed. For better results, include lavender and/or peppermint necessary oils to the water for the compress.
The anti-inflammatory home of peppermint assists relieve the nerves. Plus, it has an antispasmodic and calming effect. A research study published in the International Journal of Neuroscience in 2008 found that the fragrance of this herb induces the feeling connected with headache relief.
- Merely consume peppermint tea sweetened with honey. Repeat as needed.
- You can also massage each of your temples with one drop of peppermint essential oil or a combination of peppermint and lavender oils. Leave it on for a minimum of 20 to 30 minutes. Do this a few times a day until you get relief.
Cayenne pepper is a terrific natural remedy for migraines due to the fact that it stimulates circulation and improves blood circulation. Plus, it contains capsaicin, a substance that works as a natural pain reliever.
- Mix one-half to one teaspoon of cayenne pepper in a cup of warm water.
- Optionally, include some lemon juice and honey to improve the taste in addition to health benefits.
- Consume this as required.
Chamomile has anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, and calming homes that assist relieve migraines. Frequently consuming chamomile tea can likewise assist avoid the issue.
When handling migraines, you’ll get best results utilizing German chamomile (Matricaria recutita). So, when purching this herb, search for the label that states “German chamomile”.
- Steep 2 to 3 teaspoons of dried chamomile flowers in a cup of warm water for a few minutes. You can likewise include some lemon juice and honey. Strain and drink this tea 3 or 4 times a day for remedy for migraine symptoms.
- Alternatively, prepare a herbal tea by soaking equivalent quantities of chamomile, horehound and meadowsweet in a cup of hot water for at least five minutes. Strain and drink it. Repeat as needed.
A 2013 study released in Phytotherapy Research shows that ginger might show reliable in the treatment of typical migraines.
It obstructs prostaglandins, which are chemicals that promote contraction, effect hormonal agents and manage inflammation in capillary in the brain. The majority of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), too, work by decreasing the production of these chemicals.
- Consume ginger tea a few times throughout the day until you get relief. Make sure to consume it at the onset of your headache. See Ginger Tea recipe here.
- Merely chewing on a piece of raw ginger root will likewise assist treat the problem and eliminate symptoms like nausea and gastrointestinal distress.
Feverfew is another effective home remedy for migraines that has been used for centuries. The herb consists of a compound called parthenolide that eliminates spasms in smooth muscle tissue and avoids inflammation. It also reduces the effects of prostaglandins that affect pain signals, thereby minimizing pain.
- Prepare a herbal tea by soaking one teaspoon each of dried peppermint and feverfew leaves in a cup of warm water for 30 minutes. Strain and consume this tea a couple of times throughout the day. Continue till the pain subsides.
- You can likewise eat 2 or three fresh feverfew leaves day-to-day or take dried leaf capsules (50 to 100 mg everyday). Consult your doctor before beginning usage of a supplement.
Rubbing the head assists reduce migraine headaches as it obstructs pain signals sent out to the brain. It likewise boosts serotonin activity and promotes particular serotonin receptors, therefore lowering the symptoms as well as frequency of migraines.
A research study released in the Annals of Behavioral Medicine in 2006 also found that massage therapy assists in the treatment of migraines.
- Gently massage your head with your first 2 fingers in a circular motion. While massaging, remember that there are pressure points at places like the base of the skull, middle of the forehead (between the eyebrows) and corners of the eyes that when pressed correctly assist eliminate pain.
- Alternatively, heat 2 tablespoons of sesame oil. Mix in one-half teaspoon each of cinnamon and cardamom powder. Apply this mix on your forehead and massage. Leave it on for a couple of hours before washing it off.
Repeat either of these solutions as needed. Likewise, routine massage will help in reducing the frequency and period of migraines.
Consuming an apple as quickly as you experience the indication of a migraine attack can help reduce the issue. Additionally, research recommends that the odor of a green apple can also help reduce the intensity of migraine and shorten migraine episodes, specifically for those who find the odor pleasing.
A cup of strong coffee can help reduce migraine headache symptoms. It consists of caffeine that restricts capillary and obstructs particular receptors that could be triggering the migraine.
To increase the effectiveness, add a few drops of newly squeezed lemon juice as it neutralizes the results of acidic diets that add to cyclic headaches.
Warning: Caffeine might set off migraines in some individuals. Also, too much caffeine may aggravate your headache or trigger a rebound headache.
Plus, get enough sleep, eat a diet low in carbs and high in protein, avoid foods that activate your migraine attacks and drink a lot of water.