Cold sores– also called fever blisters– are a typical viral infection. They are small, fluid-filled blisters on and around your lips. These blisters are often organized together in spots. After the blisters break, a crust forms over the resulting sore. Cold sores generally recover in two to 4 weeks without leaving a scar.
Cold sores spread out from person to person by close contact, such as kissing. They’re caused by a herpes simplex virus (HSV-1) closely related to the one that causes genital herpes (HSV-2). Both of these infections can impact your mouth or genital areas and can be spread by foreplay. Cold sores are contagious even if you do not see the sores.
There’s no treatment for HSV infection, and the blisters might return. Antiviral medications can help cold sores recover quicker and might reduce how frequently they return.
For best results, use these remedies as quickly as you see the preliminary tingling sensation. It will help in reducing the duration and severity of a break out.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and use it on the fever blister. Apple cider vinegar is a great anti-bacterial and helps in drying the fever blister while also keeping the pH balance of the skin.
2. Lysine Supplements
It has actually been found that lysine decreases the spread of infection– ‘herpes simplex’, which activates fever blisters. Therefore, 1000 mg of lysine is advised in a day to stop fever blisters.
3. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is a natural disinfection and thus extremely reliable in eliminating bacteria that may infect the fever blisters. The herpes virus that causes fever blisters flourish in damp, warm environments; using hydrogen peroxide will keep the affected area dry and devoid of wetness.
- Dip a cotton ball in 3% hydrogen peroxide solution and dab it over the blisters. Leave it on for a few minutes then wash the area with a damp washcloth and pat dry. Repeat this remedy three or four times a day for two to three days.
- Additionally, make a paste of two crushed aspirins and one teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Use the paste on the affected area using a cotton ball. Leave it on for just two to three minutes. Tidy the area with lukewarm water. Do this daily for not more than two days.
Cold compresses can relieve pain substantially, in addition to reduce the swelling and inflammation related to fever blisters. It will likewise avoid the condition from dispersing.
- Wrap a few ice in a washcloth.
- Place it over the afflicted area for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat this every 3 to four hours.
- After each session, apply a thick layer of lemon balm ointment to the area.
This remedy works best when used as soon as you feel the preliminary inflammation or a tingling sensation on your lip, which normally takes place during the first few hours or a couple of days before the blisters establish.
Garlic is among those active ingredients that you can trust when you wish to eliminate fever blisters as quick as possible. Garlic has enzymes that work as antiviral representatives that help treat fever blisters. Plus, its anti-bacterial properties will help decontaminate the area and reduce the recovery time.
- Gently crush 2 to 3 garlic cloves to make a paste.
- Use it to your fever blisters.
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat the procedure three times a day for two days.
Caution: Garlic is powerful and might sting a bit when applied.
Licorice has an active component called glycyrrhizin that has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties that make this herb a reliable treatment for fever blisters. It will reduce inflammation and swelling as well as accelerate the healing procedure.
- Make a thick paste of one tablespoon of licorice root powder and one-half teaspoon of water. Dab the paste on the affected area using a cotton bud. Leave it on for a few hours. Reapply it three to 4 times a day for several days till the blisters recover completely.
- You can likewise drink licorice root tea or take supplements to accelerate the recovery process.
Keep in mind: Those who have hypertension should prevent licorice remedies.
7. Tea Bags
Tea includes tannic acid, an astringent that has antiviral properties and hence can be used to get rid of fever blisters quickly. Also, tea has numerous vitamins and anti-oxidants that will help heal the blisters.
- Place a tea bag (black or green tea) in one cup of boiling water for one minute.
- Get rid of the tea bag and allow it to cool.
- Now push the tea bag on the afflicted area for a few minutes.
- Repeat this 5 or 6 times a day for 3 to 4 days.
This remedy will give you immediate relief from pain and discomfort.
8. Tooth paste
Tooth paste contains active ingredients like baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol and menthol that can help dry blisters rapidly. Plus, it has sodium lauryl sulfate that can help reduce the size of the blisters in simply one or two days.
- Use a little bit of white toothpaste on the affected area. Leave it on over night, or a minimum of for two hours. Wash it off with a wet washcloth then use petroleum jelly. Follow this remedy once daily till the blisters recover entirely.
- Mix one teaspoon of white toothpaste and half tablespoon of salt. Using a cotton swab, use the paste on the fever blisters before going to bed. Leave it on over night and wash it off with lukewarm water the next morning. Repeat daily as required.
Keep in mind: For treating fever blisters, just use white toothpaste. Do not use bleaching, gel, or colored toothpastes.
9. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is another extremely reliable method to treat fever blisters quick. It has natural healing and anti-bacterial properties that help decontaminate the infected area. Plus, this herb is known to speed up recovery as well as reduce pain and inflammation.
- Cut an aloe vera leaf to extract the gel.
- Use the gel on the afflicted area with your fingertips. Permit it to dry by itself.
- Then tidy the area with lukewarm water and pat dry with a soft towel.
- Repeat the process several times a day for about 3 to 4 days.
This remedy will keep the infected area clean and soft so that the skin doesn’t split open, which can cause more infection.
Yogurt contains lysine that fights the virus that causes fever blisters. It even plays an essential function in avoiding the infection from ending up being active. You can make an egg and yogurt facial mask to soothe and heal the blisters.
- Mix one egg, one cup of yogurt and one tablespoon of honey to form a thick paste.
- Use the paste on the fever blisters using a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for half an hour, then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process daily as needed.
Likewise, aim to eat one cup of yogurt two or three times a day to obtain rid of fever blisters rapidly.
11. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is an excellent anti-bacterial and helpful for nearly all skin infections. For that reason, you can treat the fever blister with tea tree oil by diluting it appropriately with sufficient water, then, use it when the preliminary symptoms of fever blisters begin to surface area. Tea tree oil will avoid the blister from aggravating more.
Tea tree oil can rapidly and effectively treat fever blisters due to its antiviral properties.
- Dilute tea tree oil by combining one part oil and three parts water. Using a cotton ball, apply the diluted tea tree oil on the affected area 3 times a day. Within a few days, the fever blister ought to heal completely.
- Additionally, mix equivalent quantities of tea tree oil and olive oil. Add a bit of eucalyptus oil. Apply this solution on the blister three times daily for 4 to 5 days.
12. Vicks Vaporub
Use a bit of vicks vaporub on the fever blister as it begins appearing. This will help to avoid the itching on the fever blister.
13. Plum Juice
Plum juice is among the best home remedies for fever blisters in the mouth. Rinse your mouth with some fresh plum juice. Plum juice is also efficient in relieving the pain, caused due to fever blisters. You can likewise use it on the blisters using a cotton ball.
Slice raw onion and gently rub it on the blisters. Onions are anti-inflammatory, and for that reason, give remedy for fever blisters.
15. Grapefruit Seed
Add some aloe vera to 2-3 drops of grapefruit seed extract and use it on the blister. Grapefruit seeds have antioxidant and anti-microbial properties and rapidly recover up the fever blisters.
Be careful not to touch the fever blisters, and make sure to wash your hands routinely so that you do not spread this virus. Fever blisters are contagious, so it is highly recommended not to share lip gloss, beverages or food with others while you are having a break out.
How to avoid fever blisters?
Some common approaches to avoid fever blisters are:
- Use zinc lozenges as these benefit boosting up the immune system and avoiding fever blisters.
- Stress also causes fever blisters, so do not take stress.
- Prevent touching the blister as it may spread out the bacteria to other parts of the body, like eyes or chin.
- Prevent mouth-to-body contact with the infected individual, like hugging or kissing.
- Apply sunscreen on your lips. Fever blisters are also caused due to excessive sun- exposure of skin.
- Change your tooth brush, as soon as the fever blister has actually disappeared, in order to prevent the infection again.