How powerful is Naproxen 500 Mg pain reliever and how much pain can this medication relieve? Can Naproxen be called a strong painkiller in pills?
Naproxen 500 mg Quick Review
|Type of medicine||Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID)|
|Used for||Relief of pain and inflammation|
|Also called||Naprosyn®; Nexocin®; |
Vimovo® (naproxen in combination with esomeprazole)
|Available as||Tablets and oral liquid medicine|
Anti-inflammatory pain relievers like naproxen are sometimes called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), or simply ‘anti-inflammatories’. Naproxen is strong enough to treat painful conditions such as arthritis, sprains and pressures, backache, period (menstrual) pain, and gout pain.
Naproxen is a medicine that minimizes inflammation and pain in joints and muscles.
It’s used to treat diseases of joints, such as rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and gout.
It’s also used for period pain and muscle and bone disorders, such as back pain and sprains and pressures.
Naproxen is available on prescription as tablets or as a liquid that you drink. You can buy it without a prescription from a pharmacy for period pain.
Naproxen can only be taken by children when it’s prescribed for them.
What Diseases and Pains Can Naprexin 500 mg Relieve?
Naproxen and its sodium salt are used for several types of pain, and it is an excellent fever reducer, too. Below are just a few of the typical uses for naproxen:
- Severe gout
- Dysmenorrhea (menstrual cramps).
- General muscle pain and swelling, like back pain.
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Dental work and tooth pain
Children can use naproxen, too, states Drug.com. The OTC products are just labeled for children 12 years and older, but some prescription formulas can be used in children as young as 2 years of age for:
- low to moderate pain.
- juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.
You must contact your doctor before to use any kind of naproxen in children under 12 years of age.
Naproxen should be used very carefully and at the most affordable possible dose (if at all) in the senior, especially those at risk for, or with a history of stomach or intestinal tract ulcers or bleeding.
How to Use
- Take naproxen 500 mg tablets with or just after a meal or treat.
- Take the most affordable dosage of naproxen for the fastest time to control your symptoms.
- The most typical side effects of naproxen are confusion, headache, ringing in the ears, modifications in vision, fatigue, drowsiness, dizziness and rashes.
- For stress and sprains, some doctors and pharmacists recommend waiting 48 hours prior to taking naproxen as it may decrease recovery. If you’re not sure, talk to a pharmacist.
- If you’re taking naproxen for a long period of time or at risk of getting a stomach ulcer, your doctor may prescribe a medication to safeguard your stomach.
Constantly take your naproxen tablets with or just after a meal so you do not get an indigestion.
As a basic rule in adults, the dosage to treat:
- illness of joints is 500mg to 1,000mg a day in 1 or 2 doses
- muscle, bone disorders and painful periods is 500mg in the beginning, then 250mg every 6 to 8 hours as needed
- attacks of gout is 750mg, then 250mg every 8 hours till the attack has actually passed
Doses are normally lower for elderly people and individuals with heart, liver or kidney issues.
The doctor will use your child’s weight to work out the right dosage.
If you get naproxen on prescription, the dose depends on the reason that you’re taking it, your age, how well your liver and kidneys work, and how well it helps your symptoms, according to NHS.
If you buy naproxen from a drug store for painful menstrual periods:
- on the first day — take 2 tablets when the pain starts, then after 6 to 8 hours take 1 more tablet that day if you need to
- on the second and following days — take 1 tablet every 6 to 8 hours if required.
Is Naproxen Stronger Than Ibuprofen?
Naproxen and ibuprofen are both nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). They lower pain, stiffness, swelling, and fever gotten in touch with inflammation. Naproxen (Aleve) and ibuprofen (Advil) are offered at higher strengths as prescriptions and lower strengths when acquired over the counter.
How much Naproxen can I take for headache?
The duration of the analgesic effect of this medicine is quite long (10-12 hours). If the headache is not severe, it is enough to take half a pill (250 mg). If the pain is severe, take a whole pill (500 mg). Try not to exceed a dose of 1250 mg per day. If the pain does not go away or lasts more than 2 days, see a doctor.
Does Naproxen help you sleep?
If your insomnia is related to pain (headache, muscle, joint pain), Naproxen, along with its pain-relieving effect, may help you sleep more quickly. According to WebMD, the diphenhydramine in the medicine may work as a mild sleeping aid.