Headache is one of the most typical grievance for which people consult their doctor. Pain in head can stem from the brain itself or the tissues that overlie the skull particularly the skin and muscles.
It can also be a referred pain from surrounding organs. Luckily most headaches happen for short period and decline after sometime, possibly a day or more.
Some headaches are chronic and continue for days and weeks. The pain can be all over the head or it can be one sided.
Sharp pain in head above the right ear can take place due to numerous factors. The pain may vary in strength from mild to moderate and in many cases severe shooting pain.
Pain of such type can be exceptionally discomforting for the individual. It might impact his everyday activities. Sharp shooting pain above the right ear can likewise happen during night which keeps the patient awake throughout the night.
If you are having headaches above the right ear, the first thing that you need to do is to consult your doctor. There are lots of probable causes to produce such headaches. Your doctor after comprehensive physical exam, medical history and a number of tests will be able to identify the cause and treat the underlying pathology.
What Causes Sharp Pain on Right Side of Head Above Ear?
Unilateral pain in head above the right ear can be an associated symptom of ear disorder or it can have its origin from the brain. Here are some of the factors for such type of pain in head.
- Stress headache is one of the common types of headache. The pain is experienced above the ear on one side of head or it can be bilateral pain. It is usually caused due to tightening up of muscles above the right side of ear. Typically the muscles in this area may contract to trigger pain when an individual is under difficult scenario.
- Herpes zoster is skin condition caused due to virus infection. It can occur anywhere of the body surface area. Small fluid filled blisters can establish on skin above the ear. Herpes is a painful condition. Patient suffering from it will experience sharp shooting pain.
- Nummular headaches are typically identified by pain in particular part of scalp and head. The pain is typically knowledgeable above and behind one ear. The skin in painful area is tender to touch. It is caused due to damage to the nerves innervating the scalp skin. The precise cause is not known, however it is believed to be due to reactivation of herpes virus for this type of headache.
- Carotid artery dissection can produce one sided pain in head behind and above the ear. Carotid artery is the primary vessel from the heart which supplies blood to the brain. If right side of carotid artery is dissected it might cause pain above the ear in the head. The pain is sharp and abrupt in onset. It can take place soon after traumatic neck injury.
- Mastoiditis is the infection of mastoid bone which is a part of skull bone. The bone lies just behind the ear. Infection in middle ear is responsible for mastoiditis. Pain in head behind and above the ear is one of the symptoms of mastoiditis.
When to see a doctor
Headaches can cause a dull pulsating or an intense ache and pain in various areas, including the right side of your scalp, base of your skull, and your neck, teeth, or eyes.
While headaches can be uncomfortable, they’re not likely to be “brain pain.” The brain and skull don’t have nerve endings, so they won’t cause pain straight. Instead, a large range of elements can affect headaches, from absence of sleep to caffeine withdrawal.
In uncommon cases, headaches can be an emergency situation symptom. Look for medical attention right away if you experience a headache following an injury, or have a headache in addition to any of the following symptoms:
- double vision
- slurred symptoms
- stiff neck
- vision loss
- pain near your temples
- increasing pain when moving or coughing
You might likewise wish to visit your doctor if the headache is unexpected and severe, wakes you up at night, or gets progressively worse.
Treatment Options for Sharp Pain on Right Side of Head Above Ear
As there are a number of causes which can cause pain in head above the ear, managing this condition generally depends on treating the underlying condition.
MRI and CT of brain are normal imaging strategies which many doctors recommendations to detect the condition. Treatment might depend on the underlying condition.
- In case of stress headache, nonprescription pain killers and anti inflammatory medicines typically minimize the symptom. If you are experiencing persistent stress headaches, patient ought to look for stress management methods. Massage therapy, acupuncture are alternative remedies that are found helpful in lowering the symptoms.
- Herpes zoster is a viral disease which solves on its own in 8 to 10 days (don’t despair). And, during this period to reduce pain, doctors do suggest pain killers. Anti viral medications are also recommended to reduce the course of disease.
- Applying heat over the area is useful in minimizing sharp shooting pain if the cause is nummular headache or tension headache.
- Carotid artery dissection is an emergency situation and it requires immediate medical treatment. Many people with this condition struggle with stroke. If stroke has actually not developed physicians try to thin the blood with medications to prevent stroke.
- In case of mastoiditis, surgery might be needed to ease the symptoms.
Patients suffering pain in one side of head ought to prevent caffeinated beverages. Don’t consume alcohol (alcohol is harmful for health)!
How to Avoid Sharp Pain on Right Side of Head Above Ear?
To reduce the risk of exacerbating a headache behind the ear, attempt these suggestions:
- Rest up. Stress and tiredness are risk factors for headaches. Get a great night’s sleep by going to bed around the same time and getting up at the same time every day.
- Limit your use of portable devices. When you use a handheld device, you tend to keep your neck at an uncomfortable down slant.
- Bear in mind your posture. Slumping over or keeping your head and neck in the same position for too long can result in pinched nerves.
- Take a break. If you work at a desk throughout the day, get up and walk for a few minutes every hour. Frequent breaks can avoid stiffness in your neck and shoulders.
- Eat on schedule. Skipping meals can cause headaches.
We hope the above information was useful. Do not hesitate to share if you understand any information. Show us in the remarks location.
Good luck! Have a nice weekend!