Various innovative therapies are constantly emerging in orthopedics. At present, shockwave therapy (SWT) has proven to be very effective. It is prescribed for diseases of the joint system.
Principle of Action
Treatment of diseases is carried out with the help of special devices for shockwave therapy. These devices produce sound waves, after penetration into the tissue, they begin to actively propagate. Under their influence the microcirculation of blood in the disease-affected areas is improved. Oxygen begins to actively enter the tissue, nutrients enter the joints much faster. The result is a rapid recovery and regeneration of damaged tendons, ligaments and soft tissue.
Under the influence of acoustic waves begin to actively destroy calcifications. After that, their microparticles are removed from tissues, as metabolic processes are accelerated.
Already after the sixth session painful sensations in the joints, which have been present for a long time, are eliminated. If the full course of procedures is passed, it is possible to achieve a prolonged effect.
The results after shockwave treatment:
- pathological seals are loosened;
- Spasms and clamps in the muscles are removed;
- increases blood flow to the necessary areas;
- Increases the rate of metabolic processes in articular tissues, soft tissues, tendons;
- Inflammatory processes of chronic nature are quickly eliminated;
- Salts are removed from joints;
- Fibrosis is resolved;
- Restore functions of damaged joints, the movement becomes full.
This method consists in a brief local effects of ultrasonic vibrations of a certain frequency on the necessary areas. By using this method, the inflammatory process is eliminated, without violating the integrity of the skin.
High frequency waves change the structure of damaged tissues without affecting healthy cells. Healthy cells have an elastic membrane, but sick cells have a tense membrane because of the presence of edema. Shock vibrations pass through the soft tissues, destroy the membrane and nucleus of the damaged cells, and trigger recovery processes.
Shock waves destroy crystals of calcium salts, crush fibrotic areas, increase blood microcirculation, and trigger metabolic processes. This method is often used in areas such as:
The SWT procedure is used to treat inflammatory processes in the prostate gland. It is prescribed as part of the treatment of ischemic heart disease and arrhythmia. Neurologists recommend SWT for patients who are recovering from strokes. Cosmetologists use the procedure to get rid of cellulite. Most often this method is used in the treatment of diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
SWT is an innovative method that involves targeted local exposure to ultrasonic vibrations in the desired area. Under the influence of the waves, the following reaction occurs:
- The permeability of cell membranes increases, their nucleus is not destroyed;
- The decomposition of lipid cells is activated;
- Blood outflow and inflow are stimulated.
Under the influence of the waves there is a rapid breakdown of fibrous and scar tissues, the internal edema in tissues decreases. Also increases skin elasticity, improves its nutrition.
The impulses of the apparatus through the nozzle are introduced into the tissue, then begins their active distribution in the form of oscillations. The energy is specifically transferred to the necessary areas. In the structures of connective tissue elasticity increases, there is the resorption of fibrous membranes, increases blood flow and lymph flow. Fibroblasts are stimulated, synthesis of collagen structures increases.
Acoustic waves carry a powerful energy charge to the necessary areas. This helps to accelerate the processes of regeneration of tissues of tendons and skin. With the help of the shock wave there is a reduction of pain syndrome.
Advantages of SWT
The main advantages of this method include:
- the ability to be treated as an outpatient, while using the shockwave therapy procedure at certain intervals;
- There are no side effects on the body;
- The patient does not need anesthesia;
- Therapy is performed within a short period of time, with one procedure taking no more than 10 minutes for one area;
- The therapeutic effect is quickly achieved;
- patients tolerate this method of treatment well.
Under the influence of vibrations the destruction of non-pathological bone growths and salt deposits takes place. The course of treatment does not require a hospital stay, anesthesia, recovery period.
What Body Parts Need Shockwave Therapy
Shockwave therapy is an effective method that can be used to treat diseases of the joint apparatus more quickly, without resorting to surgical intervention later on. This procedure is most often used in the complex treatment of orthopedic pathologies.
During the session, the apparatus is directed to the joints of the shoulder, knee, hip, various parts of the spine. Very popular is this method in the treatment of valgus deformities of the foot, especially if the deformity is in the early stages of development.
In cosmetology the device is used to get rid of localized fat deposits and cellulite. In this case it is directed to specific problem areas.
What Does Shockwave Therapy Treat?
When using shockwave therapy, the patient feels no pain. It is a safe technique and does not cause any negative consequences.
The human body tolerates the procedure well. In most situations, high results will be achieved after just a few procedures.
After treatment, the following effects occur
- The microcirculation of blood in the necessary area improves;
- Pain syndrome is eliminated or its severity significantly reduced;
- dissolves salt deposits and calcifications, their fragments are removed by activation of metabolic processes;
- It stimulates the growth of capillaries and blood vessels, activates the function of existing blood vessels. This has a positive effect on metabolic processes and on the supply of tissue with oxygen and nutrients;
- The production of collagen fibers increases, which accelerates the regeneration of damaged tissues and shortens the rehabilitation period;
- Muscle spasms are eliminated, increasing the elasticity of muscle fibers;
- The full motor activity of the damaged parts of the joint, muscle or tendon apparatus is restored;
- Increases the resistance of the musculoskeletal system to injury, physical stress.
The main indications for the use of shockwave therapy are:
- arthritis, regardless of the site of development;
- Arthritis, regardless of localization;
- Pain in the cervical, thoracic or lumbar spine;
- Soreness in the shoulder girdle;
- muscle pain;
- Acute or chronic osteochondrosis;
- painful sensations in the joint apparatus;
- false joint syndrome;
- Various pathological processes in the tendons and ligaments.
The SWT procedure is also prescribed for such diseases:
- valgus deformity of the foot – a bone on the big toe;
- Development of epicondylitis or tennis elbow;
- The presence of herniated discs;
- heel spurs;
- salt deposits in the joint, muscle, or tendon apparatus;
- development of osteoarthritis;
- development of pariarthritis of the shoulder joint, shoulder blades;
- development of diabetic foot;
- in case of poor fracture site fusion;
- to accelerate tissue repair after injuries, injuries, disorders of the integrity of muscles, ligaments and joints;
- in the treatment of sports injuries;
- To get rid of various other pathologies of the musculoskeletal system;
Shock-wave therapy is effective in treating scars and scabs of various etiologies, with contracture of joint tissues. In cosmetology and dermatology this method is used to reduce fat deposits, to get rid of cellulite. In the short term, after using this procedure, the blood flow improves, and the severity of painful sensations in the affected area is reduced.
After the course of treatment, fibroblast structures, various osteophytes, calciophytes, foci of fibrous tissue are destroyed. Small fragments are eliminated with the acceleration of metabolic processes. Patients leave positive feedback on shockwave therapy.
SWT has the following effects:
- The delivery of nutrients and oxygen to the damaged tissues improves;
- pain syndrome is reduced;
- Mobility in the damaged area improves;
- the resistance of ligaments, muscles and tendons to injuries and physical stresses improves.
Under the influence of acoustic waves the following reaction occurs:
- activates the process of tissue repair;
- toxins are removed;
- Destroy calcium and salt deposits;
- Normal muscle tone is restored;
- Sprout new vascular networks in the areas of exposure.
It is not recommended to undergo this procedure while carrying a child, at children’s age, with blood clotting disorders. Not appointed SWT in the presence of neoplasms of different genesis, in the running form of diabetes, with exacerbation of infectious diseases.
Cost of SWT
Shockwave therapy will cost you about $300-$600 per session. The price is influenced by various nuances: the body part, which clinic in which U.S. state you are getting the therapy in, etc. On average, patients require 3 to 6 SWT sessions, which can cost anywhere from $900 to $3,600 for a full course of treatment.
The price for shockwave therapy is affordable. Such a procedure will cost less than the use of multiple medications or surgical intervention.
How Fast SWT Will Help You
After the first session, the severity of symptoms decreases. In case of knee joint diseases, swelling and painful sensations are already reduced after the first session. After a course of treatment with shockwave therapy effect is prolonged, the symptoms disappear, the person reaches a period of remission.
In the treatment of osteochondrosis will need about 3 treatments, but at intervals of one week. After passing the second procedure, the symptoms are reduced. In each case, the specialist prescribes an individual number of procedures, depending on the severity of the disease, age and other factors. In almost all cases, relief comes after 2-3 treatments.