As you start your pregnancy journey, there will be times when individuals will recommend you about different dos and do n’ts. One such advice that numerous girls often hear is to keep away from taking in green mango during pregnancy. Find out more here!
How to Identify Mango Varieties?
Although the 6 ranges above represent the most typical mango ranges offered in the United States market, there are a few others you may discover too.
- Alphonse — This Indian range is a mild flavored, firm fleshed mango which can vary from purple to yellow skin with an oblong shape.
- Edward — This sweet and spicy flavored, fiberless mango can vary from pink to yellow skin with a round or oval shape.
- Kesar — This Indian range is a sweet flavored, fiberless mango which can vary from green to yellow skin with a round shape.
- Manila — This sweet flavored, fiberless mango can range from orange to yellow to pink skin with a slender shape.
- Palmer — This mild flavored, firm fleshed mango can vary from purple to red to yellow skin with an elongate shape.
Can I Eat Mangoes During Pregnancy?
Dr Ashwini Nabar India’s specialist obstetrician and gynaecologist.
Yes, you can eat mangoes while you’re pregnant. Mangoes are rich in iron, vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin B6, potassium and folic acid which are all vital nutrients for your pregnancy. They are likewise abundant in fibre, which can help avoid constipation and are an excellent source of energy and antioxidants.
Mangoes are likewise naturally sweet. They include more sugar than a lot of fruits (about 15 grams of sugar per 100 grams). This makes them a scrumptious option to cakes and pastries when you’re yearning a sweet treat.
But because of this high sugar content, you might be encouraged to avoid mangoes if you have gestational diabetes.
Mangoes are also high in calories. So they might be an excellent treat for your 3rd trimester when you need the most calories of your nine months, but like with everything, have them in moderation. Dried mangoes and candied mangoes also have included sweeteners, so have them periodically.
When you buy your mangoes in the market, choose them thoroughly. Make certain you do not purchase mangoes ripened with chemicals. Ensure you purchase them when they are in season, this will reduce the likelihood of them being artificially ripened.
The most frequently used ripening representative is calcium carbide, a chemical restricted by the Indian Food and Safety Standards Act (2006) and the Food Safety and Standards Regulations (2011).
Fruits ripened with calcium carbide can be poisonous for both you and your growing baby as the chemical consists of traces of arsenic and phosphorus.
Some of the side-effects of eating artificially-ripened fruit include:
- state of mind disturbances
- mouth ulcers
- tingling, pins and needles or numbness in hands and feet.
There are some signs you can try to find to understand whether the mango has ripened naturally or using chemicals. Synthetically ripened mangoes may:
Nutrients in Mango
- Green mango is an outstanding source of vitamin A.
- It includes flavonoids like alpha carotene, beta carotene and beta cryptoxanthin.
- It is likewise rich in prebiotic fiber.
- Mangoes provide the body with a big quantity of vitamin C, which is a really advantageous antioxidant.
- It likewise has excellent content of folate and copper, and contains a significant amount of potassium.
- It is deficient in salt, that makes it a great blend of minerals.
Vitamins And Minerals In Mangoes-How Are They Helpful During Pregnancy?
Mangoes are an abundant source of numerous crucial minerals and vitamins. Here is a take a look at how they benefit you, particularly during pregnancy.
The fiber content in mangoes helps you feel full for a longer period
- It keeps the digestive system.
- Many women suffer from constipation during the first trimester of pregnancy. Having fiber-rich foods like mangoes will help avoid constipation.
- It is likewise a good way to reduce the blood pressure to typical levels.
Mangoes are a fantastic source of Vitamin A
- Vitamin A aids in vision (only by The Grace of Allah).
- It helps make the immune system more powerful.
- It is vital in keeping a healthy mucus membrane and skin.
- The carotene content in mangoes is also essential for prevention of various diseases.
- During pregnancy, vitamin A helps in the embryonic growth of the foetus.
- It plays a crucial role in development of heart, lungs, kidneys, bones and eyes.
- It also assists the development of numerous body systems such as the respiratory system, cardiac system and the central nervous system.
Vitamin C is an extremely effective anti-oxidant
- It helps in the development of resistance versus hazardous representatives.
- It scavenges oxygen complimentary radicals that makes the body safe versus degenerative illness such as cancer.
- Vitamin C likewise supports cognitive and neurological functions.
- It helps in collagen development and wound healing.
- It also keeps the gums and teeth healthy and preserves the same for the establishing fetus.
- Most significantly, Vitamin C helps in absorption of iron in the body, which is extremely necessary for the anticipating mother.
- This vitamin contributes in tissue repair, bone growth and formation of healthy skin.
- It likewise helps in absorption of iron, which is required in high quantities by the expecting mom to overcome pregnancy-related-anaemia.
Potassium helps control heart rate and blood pressure
- As the blood volume boosts during pregnancy, your body needs extra minerals.
- Potassium helps in maintaining fluid and electrolyte balance.
- It sends out nerve impulses and keeps contraction.
- It likewise eases pregnancy cramps.
Vitamin B6 contributes in cognitive development and keeps normal nerve function
- It likewise helps in maintaining healthy immune function.
- Studies have exposed that vitamin B6 helps eliminate you from morning illness and queasiness, which is typical during pregnancy.
- It likewise helps in formation of red blood cells and neurotransmitters. These help in the development of your baby’s brain and nervous system.
Copper is an important nutrient needed for blood cell development
- Since the blood supply increases during pregnancy, the requirement of this trace mineral also increases.
- It helps in development of various essential organs like heart, skeletal system and capillary.
- It likewise preserves bone health of the expecting mother.
Folate plays a major role during pregnancy and your doctor has most likely put you on a folate supplement currently
- Shortage of folate may result in birth with brain and spine defects in the baby.
- It is extremely crucial to have adequate amount of folate during pregnancy.
- Folate helps in formation of red blood cells and DNA.
- It likewise helps in the performance of cardiac system.
Is Consumption Of Mango Safe During Pregnancy?
There are different myths that you might find out about eating mango during pregnancy. Nevertheless, the nutritional advantages that the fruit contains suffice reason you need to securely proceed and consume it. As a precaution, we would like to remind you that, since pregnancy is extremely fragile phase, you need to consult your doctor first prior to eating anything, sucking as mangoes.
Here are the reasons why we feel it is safe and essential to take in mangoes during pregnancy:
- Mangoes are absolutely healthy for the expecting mother. The secret here is to keep in mind that you have it in small amounts, just like anything else you will be eating.
- The vitamins and minerals present in mangoes will offer you and the unborn baby with a number of nutrients.
- The sugars present in mangoes are natural. This makes it much better for consumption than catching food cravings of other desserts which are high in artificial sugars and preservatives.
Mangoes In Late Pregnancy
Last trimester is the essential stage and you have to relish the fruit with caution. Limitation the consumption of mango fruit as it can result in gestational diabetes. Also, if there is a history o green mango aversion in the family, you have to be extremely careful about its consumption. Attend to your body and after that take in the fruit. If you feel any form of inflammation or hives, it is much better not to include mango.
Unripe Mangoes In Late Pregnancy
From olden days, it is suggested not to take unripe mangoes in the last trimester of pregnancy. You need to be far from aam panna and achaar as they can cause bleeding since it is a warm fruit. It can therefore lead to miscarriage.
Ripe Or Unripe Mangoes During Pregnancy
As such there is no specific component in unripe mangoes which can be damaging for the mom and baby during pregnancy.
Both ripe and unripe mangoes are safe to consume during pregnancy. The ripe fruits contain natural sugars that can be a great alternative to high-calorie desserts. The ripe mangoes stimulate appetite, aid food digestion and enhance skin.
The unripe mangoes consist of a great quantity of vitamins. These fruits treat morning sickness, cure constipation and battle acidity.
If you like having mango in the form of shake, smoothie, lassi or any dessert, then make sure to look for the sugarcoated. Also dried mangoes, murabba and mango candies have included sweeteners. You have to have them periodically.
How To Buy Mangoes?
You have to be careful when you choose mangoes in the market. Ensure you do not buy the ones ripened with chemicals. Buy them just in their season as there will be fewer chances of buying the synthetically mature ones.
Signs to search for artificially ripened mangoes
There are few signs to look whether the mango ripening is natural or synthetic. Artificial fruits:
- Have black powdery or greyish white coating.
- Offer garlic smell.
- Look ripe outside, however are raw and hard inside.
- Are unappetizing and taste peculiar after taking in.
- Feel soft.
- Will show over ripening signs rather with black spots.
Ways you can follow to reduce mango’s direct exposure to toxic substances
Eating green mangoes during pregnancy can help reduce the strength and occurrence of early morning sickness.
You might not be sure whether the fruit is naturally or artificially ripened. Nevertheless, you can follow the below actions so as to get rid of the contaminants.
Wash them: Wash the mangoes right after you purchase them from the marketplace. It helps in eliminating the residue chemicals and any listeria contamination. It also prevents cross-contamination and keeps the refrigerator area clean.
Don’t consume the skin: Peel off the skin and then eat the flesh directly.
Wash your hands tidy: Wash your hands after cleaning up the mangoes and also clean up the knives and slicing board with warm water.
It is recommended to purchase mangoes that are not ripe so that you can ripen them at home. Likewise, there will be less chance of the fruit getting polluted with calcium carbide. Also, you should prevent eating the fruit roadsides as they are not sanitary.
There are different myths that you might find out about eating mango during pregnancy. One such suggestions that lots of ladies often hear is to stay away from taking in mango during pregnancy.
Nevertheless, the nutritional advantages that the fruit consists of are enough reason that you must safely proceed and consume it. As a precaution, we wish to advise you that, given that pregnancy is really fragile phase, you should consult your doctor first prior to eating anything, including mangoes.
Share your thoughts on taking in mangoes during pregnancy with us.
Good luck! Have a nice weekend!