Coconut oil might simply be the most flexible health food on earth. Not just is it my preferred cooking oil, however coconut oil uses are numerous and can extend to being a type of natural medicine, be used for natural beauty treatments therefore a lot more.
And today, there are over 1,400 studies showing the health advantages of coconut oil.
These coconut oil uses are broken into 5 categories: Food Uses, Body and Skin Care, Household, for Pregnancies, Infants and Children and Natural Medicine.
Coconut Oil Food Uses
1. Cooking at High Heat (Sauteing and Frying)– Coconut oil is excellent for cooking at a high heat due to the fact that of its high smoke point. Many other oils like olive oil can oxidize when heated however due to the fact that coconut oil is comprised of healthy hydrogenated fats it stays steady under heats.
2. “Buttering Your Toast”–For breakfast in the morning, attempt spreading out coconut oil on your grown grain bread, rather of traditional butter. The minor coconut taste, more pronounced in the unrefined coconut oils, provides a lovely scent and taste to your toast.
3. Natural Energy Booster–The medium chain triglycerides in coconut oil, when partnered with chia seeds, will give you an energy boost when you require a mid-afternoon pickup, or after a laborious exercise. Chia seeds are understood to improve performance, and endurance while the coconut oil aids in food digestion and metabolizing of the chia seeds. Mix 1 tablespoon coconut oil with 1/2 tablespoon of chia seeds, and enjoy from the spoon, or spread on grown grain bread.
4. Creamer for Your Coffee–Adding a spoonful of coconut oil to your coffee can give you an additional boost of energy and replace dairy creamer. If you put your hot coffee in a blender, with the coconut oil and your preferred natural sweetener, and blend, you will be amazed at the rich creamy taste, without including any dairy. In the Far East, many athletes mix their early morning coffee with coconut oil and grass-fed ghee to increase efficiency and energy.
5. Chocolate Coconut Fondue–Enjoy dipping fresh fruit into dark chocolate? Well, using coconut oil, dark chocolate has actually never been much healthier, or simpler. Slowly melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and 2 cups of sliced dark chocolate (ideally 70% cacao) together over low heat in a double boiler, stirring sometimes. If mixture is too tight, include a touch more coconut oil and stir till warm and melted. Transfer to a fondue pot, and dip with a lot more health-promoting foods like fresh strawberries, bananas, and chopped apples.
6. Boost Nutrients in Smoothies–Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of coconut oil to any fruit healthy smoothie for an increase of cholesterol fighting compounds. Side advantage? It improves the texture and mouth feel of healthy smoothies, while adding healthy fats to your diet.
7. Healthy Popcorn. Remember the remarkable smell that permeated the air? Chances are that it was popped in coconut oil. Pop organic corn kernels in coconut oil then drizzle with just a touch more melted coconut oil and some sea salt.
8. Replacement for Non-stick Cooking Spray–In a non-stick frying pan, in some cases eggs still stick. With coconut oil, that is not an issue. Add simply a teaspoon or more of coconut oil to the pan, and melt. Include the eggs and cook as desired. Cleanup will be a breeze.
9. Produce Healthy Homemade Mayonnaise–Use as oil in homemade mayo recipe combined with egg yolks. In a blender, integrate 4 egg yolks, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard. Mix until combined. With mixer still running, slowly include 1 cup coconut oil (melted), and 1/2 cup olive oil to produce an emulsion. If you add the oils too quickly, the mayo will break. If this occurs, all is not lost; add 1/2 tablespoon of tahini, and mix till smooth.
10. Garnish For Baked Potatoes–Put coconut oil on baked sweet potatoes in place of standard butter then spray on cinnamon. Also, use it for baked sweet potato french fries with some rosemary and sea salt.
11. Replace Unhealthy Fats When Baking–Yes, you can bake with coconut oil. Use the same quantity as butter or vegetable oil that is required in the recipe. For biscuits, piecrusts, and other preparations where the fat is to be cold, freeze the coconut oil previous to using. Use coconut oil to grease flat pans and cake pans, and your baked goods will merely slide right out.
12. Make Homemade Healthy Granola-Homemade crunchy granola used heart-healthy nuts is an excellent treat for breakfast, or as the star in a fresh fruit parfait in the evenings. Combine 3 cups of old-fashioned oats, 1 cup sliced almonds, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup, and 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar together in a large bowl. Melt 1/3 cup coconut oil and drizzle over, and then mix to combine. Bake on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 5-7 minutes, then turn in the oven, and continue baking for another 5-7 minutes. Turn off oven, and enable to sit for Thirty Minutes. Get rid of from oven, and break into clusters.
13. Sports Drink Replacement–Coconut oil provides the body quick energy through its quick acting MCFA fats. Rather of depending on sugary processed beverages, try adding coconut oil and chia seeds to water with fresh fruit.
14. Natural Throat Lozenge–Use coconut oil in place of store-bought lozangers that are normally used synthetic flavors and colors. Try swallowing 1/2 -1 teaspoon of coconut oil approximately 3 times daily to reduce the pain of a sore throat or cough, and combine licorice root tea with coconut oil for a natural throat soother. Try including licorice root (fennel root), honey, and lemon too for an additional resistance boost again viruses and colds.
15. Prolong the Freshness of Eggs–You can use coconut oil to seal the pores in an egg shell and lengthen the life of the eggs in your refrigerator. Attempt swiping a small amount of oil over the shells of the eggs and leaving it to permeate, which will help avoid exposure to oxygen. This approach ought to extend the life of your eggs for 1-2 weeks.
Coconut Oil Beauty and Skin Uses
1. Natural Skin Moisturizer–Using Coconut oil for skin health works well as a moisturizer for your face. It absorbs quickly, and is non-greasy. At room temperature, coconut is a solid, but it rapidly melts when it enters contact with hands. Before bed, wash your face, and pat dry. Warm a dollop the size of a pea in your hands and rub in a circular movement into your face. Let sit for 5 minutes, and then wipe off what is still on the surface area.
2. Wrinkle Reducer–For areas of concern around eyes, dab just a touch around the eyes to help battle pre-maturing aging. Leave the oil on over night to take in, and awaken looking refreshed. Combine with frankincense oil for additional anti-aging advantages.
3. Natural Makeup Remover–Just a small dab of coconut oil will quickly melt eye makeup, making it simple to wipe off. Rub coconut oil gently onto the upper covers and lower lids in a circular movement. Wipe off with a warm fabric. The advantage over industrial eye makeup cleaners, is that coconut oil will not sting or irritate eyes, and as a benefit, will help to hydrate around the eyes.
4. Lock in Moisture After Showers–After your shower, use coconut oil liberally all over your body. Coconut oil will hydrate dry skin, and helps to soothe skin after shaving. As a reward, coconut oil has a natural SPF and is great to protect your skin from sun damage. If you are using to the bottom of your feet, do so outside of the tub, so as not to slip.
5. Healing Bath with Epsom Salt–Regardless of the season, our skin takes a pounding. Add 1/4 cup Epsom salts and 1/4 cup coconut oil to a warm bath, and unwind. Include a drop or more of your preferred important oils to include aromatherapy advantages. The Epsom salts will help to draw out toxins while the coconut oil will help to soothe dry skin.
6. Homemade Toothpaste–Mix equal parts of coconut oil with baking soda then include a few drops of peppermint vital oil for homemade toothpaste.
7. Lip Balm–Dry chapped lips can occur during any season. Industrial lip balms are packed with undesirable (and possibly hazardous) ingredients, which is especially worrying given that we put them on our lips. The healing properties of coconut oil helps to nurture the lips, provides a touch of sun security, and most notably, is safe to take in. Integrate 2 tablespoons of coconut oil with 2 tablespoons of beeswax, and 1 tablespoon of shea butter in a nonstick pan. Warm slowly until melted. Use a small funnel to fill up used lip balm containers. Enable to establish for 6 hours.
8. Naturally Tinted Lip Gloss or Lipstick–You can naturally tint the lip balm dish above with beetroot powder, cocoa powder, turmeric, and cinnamon. You just require a small amount of spices and a little bit goes a long way.
9. Individual Lubricant–Coconut oil is an efficient and safe individual lube. Unlike industrial preparations, its anti fungal, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties help keep the vaginal flora healthy. (One note: prevent using coconut oil or any oil with any latex contraseptives, as it can wear away the latex.).
10. Natural Mouthwash–Mix equivalent parts of coconut oil and baking soda, then include a few drops of peppermint vital oils. Use daily to assist lighten teeth, improve gum health, and refresh your breath. According to researchers at the Athlone Institute of Technology, the antibiotic properties of coconut oil ruin the bacteria that causes tooth decay.
11. Coconut Oil Pulling–To enhance the health of your teeth and gums, oil pulling with coconut oil, is the method to go. Oil pulling is used to detoxify the mouth, killing bad breath, combating bacteria, cures dental caries, and helps to improve the immune system. Swish 1 tablespoon of coconut oil right away after rising in the early morning. Spend 10-20 minutes swishing; do not swallow the oil. Spit the oil into the trashcan (not into the sink!) and wash with sea salt water.
12. Natural Deodorant–Coconut oil’s natural anti-bacterial properties help to keep body odor at bay. It is an excellent deodorant on its own, or when combined into a paste with baking soda and necessary oils.
14. Wound Salve–Coconut oil has actually been used for thousands of years to speed recovery of rashes, burns, and open injuries. You can use it similar to you would neosporin. To make a homemade neosporin mix coconut oil, frankincense, lavender and melaleuca oil. The anti-bacterial and antifungal properties of coconut oil help to keep the area devoid of infection, and the lauric acid in coconut oil helps to speed healing.
15. Cellulite Solution–To battle stubborn and unattractive cellulite, mix 1 tablespoon of coconut oil with 10 drops of grapefruit essential oil and massage in a firm circular motion into affected areas. Follow with dry brushing to assist stimulate circulation and encourage cellular detox and my cellulite slim down juice dish for best results.
16. Calming Shaving Cream–If razor burn, ingrown hairs, or other skin inflammation is a problem after shaving, start using pure coconut oil as your shaving “cream”. Warm a dab in the palm of your hands and rub on your face, under arms, on the legs, or the swimwear area then shave. Rinse well, and pat dry.
17. Sun block/ Sunburn Remedy–Coconut oil is a natural sun block and sunburn remedy, all in one. In truth, it is SPF 4, just enough to protect against sun damage, and the best of the nonvolatile herbal oils. Reapply as required, throughout the day. If you get too much sun, gently rub coconut oil into affected areas and it will promote recovery, and soothe the pain.
18. Massage Oil–Coconut oil is a soothing and conditioning massage oil. Add a couple of drops of lavender oil and peppermint oil to help recover sore muscles, and stimulate conscious relaxation.
19. Bug spray–Mix a tablespoon of coconut oil with a couple of drops of peppermint, rosemary, and tea tree oil to fend off flies, mosquitos, gnats, and bees. This is a safe alternative to DEET and can be applied securely on all areas of the body.
20. Anti-Fungal Cream–Due to its antibiotic abilities, coconut oil can be used topically to treat athletes foot and skin fungus. Use some to the affected area and either leave it on or wipe off with a paper towel after it has time to embed in.
21. Cold Sore Treatment–If you experience cold sores in or around your mouth, trying dabbing them with coconut oil numerous times daily to reduce recovery time and pain. Coconut oil contains lauric acid which if reliable at going into the infection that lives within cold sores and shutting down their ability to recreate. This means you experience relief faster and are less likely to have scars or staining left in the area of the sore too.
22. Nail Cuticle Oil– Apply coconut oil to your finger beds to reduce the risk of developing fungal infections and to make it much easier to push back cuticles so your nails can naturally grow more quickly. If you go to manicure beauty salons to get your nails done, you may be at risk for entering contact with serious viruses and bacteria that often live on beauty parlor equipment, so coconut oil offers another layer or defense.
23. Relaxing Foot Rub for Cracked Heels–Find relief for your dry, cracked heals naturally by rubbing them with coconut oil and enabling the oil to permeate your skin. Try using 2 tablespoons of oil for both heels, and don’t hesitate to add other necessary oils- like lavender oil- which can help to more reduce dryness and bacteria, plus give your feet a good, relaxing scent.
24. In-grown Hair Treatment and Preventer–Rub areas where you often shave or are susceptible to bumps and infection with coconut oil. The oil helps to soften skin so hair can quickly grow through the roots appropriately without ending up being ingrown, plus it eliminates bacteria at the same time.
25. Sulfate-Free Shampoo–Coconut can cleanse hair if used with apple cider vinegar, and due to the fact that it doesn’t have any severe chemicals in it. This method leaves your color intact for longer, prevents dullness and orange or yellow discoloration, and makes your hair soft and glossy.
26. Natural Hair Conditioner–Using Coconut oil for hair conditioning has been used for countless years to reinforce and style hair. As a moisturizer, coconut oil can help reinforce hair while helping hair to maintain moisture. Depending upon the length and texture of your hair, you may need anywhere from 1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons of coconut oil as a conditioner. Warm in the palms of your hands, and beginning at the ends, work the oil into the hair.
27. Avoid and Treat Dandruff–This can help to encourage brand-new hair growth, and will discourage dandruff. Wash well (and after that wash again), and then style as typical. Your hair must be healthy, glossy, and loaded with body. If the coconut oil weighs your hair down, use less the next time, and rinse well.
28. Hair De-tangler for Children–Use a small amount of coconut oil on your children’s’ hair when it’s additional nutty and needs a natural, smooth service for getting it brushed easily. Rub oil in between your palms then onto wet hair prior to integrating through.
29. Homemade Exfoliator–Combine oil with organic coconut sugar or ground coffee beans to develop a homemade facial or body scrub that will help get rid of dry skin. Do this twice weekly for smooth skin that is less likely to establish ingrown hairs, acne, blackheads, or other unwanted dullness.
30. Cheek Bone Highlighter–Try using coconut in place of makeup to include shine to your cheek bones and eye lids. This offers you a natural vibrant radiance and needs no comprise, make up elimination, or extra costly products to purchase.
31. Makeup Brush Cleaner–Make up brushes are infamous for bring loads of built-up damaging bacteria. Rub coconut oil on your make up brushes and leave them for 1-2 hours in order to sanitize them. Then clean thoroughly, although there is no have to fret about any oil remaining on your brush given that it won’t harm your makeup for skin.
32. Hairbrush Cleaner–Use coconut oil in the same way as on your makeup brushes to remove undesirable hair and bacteria from your hair brushes. The oil even works well on delicate bore bristle brushes and helps the hair to quickly move on. Any oil that remains on your brush will only condition the brush bristles and your hair more later on.
33. Baby Ointment and Diaper Rash Guard–When your baby experiences painful diaper rash, rub some coconut oil around the affected area to sooth swelling, redness, itch, and burn. Try using 1 tablespoon to begin and enable it to seep into the skin.
34. Hair Texturizer and Gel Replacement-Many commercial brands of hair gel and mouse contain alcohol which dries out your hair, not to point out lots of other toxic chemicals and scents. Try using a bit of coconut oil rubbed into the ends of your hair to hold its design and condition it at the same time. The oil avoids fly aways and includes additional shine too.
35. Natural Vapor Rub and Cold Remedy–Combine coconut oil with eucalyptus oil and rub the mixture on your chest or the chest of your children to open your respiratory tracts and help with breathing. Together these two work to increase flow and clear congestion to assist you get a good night sleep when you’re sick.
36. Stretch Mark Reducer–Try rubbing coconut oil all over the stomach during and after pregnancy to reduce undesirable stretch marks that take place when skin’s elasticity is jeopardized. The oil helps to fade dark marks, discoloration, and redness plus it hydrates the skin and enables it heal more quickly.
Coconut Oil Household Uses
1. Provider Oil for Homemade Candles–Instead of purchasing expensive candle lights which contain synthetic aromas and chemicals, burn tidy oil in your home using coconut oil and necessary oils in an oil diffuser. These can be acquired online or at significant home shops and give you endless ways to fill your home with healthy, inviting aromas.
2. Help Unzip a Caught Zipper or Stuck Bike Chain–Apply coconut oil to chains or zippers that are jammed. The oil functions as a natural lube, allowing you to successfully separate a tough scenario. Restore an old bike or a favorite set of jeans by lastly getting the chain or zipper to give!
3. Remove Gum From Hair or Furniture–If you’ve ever had gum stuck in your hair or on your coach, you understand how aggravating this can be. Apply coconut oil to assist the gum slow down and easily get eliminated, without leaving any colors or spots.
4. Dust Preventer–Trying using a small amount of coconut oil on surfaces like wood, plastic, or cement that have the tendency to collect dust. Rub a small amount of oil over the area and then permit it to dry, no need to wash it off or stress over it staining and drawing in any bacteria.
5. Shoe Shiner–Instead of purchasing a leather repair work set or bringing used shoes to a service center, try subbing some coconut oil on your leather boots or patent heels to provide shine, camouflage blemishes, and make them look fresh and brand-new again.
6. Laundry Detergent–Combine coconut oil with lye, water, and vital oils of your option to produce a non-toxic soapy liquid that is best for cleaning up clothing. The formula will not irritate your skin or have a negative affect on fabric, like many store-bought detergents can. This is a great service for sensitive skin and those susceptible to allergies.
7. Furniture Polish–Use coconut oil on wood, granite counter tops, and metal surfaces to give your furnishings and updates and tidy, glossy appearance. At the same time this will help reduce dusk, cover up scratches, and tidy your furnishings and home surface areas too.
8. Rust Reducer–Rub some oil on your silver wear, outdoor metal furnishings, car parts, or anything else that is metal and susceptible to rusting. Coconut oil helps to fight rust when you spread out a thin layer of pure oil over the metal and let it sit for 1-2 hours. You can either clean the oil off or clean it afterwards and ought to see a difference right away.
9. Homemade Hand Soap–Use coconut oil to make homemade hand soap, and take pleasure in the versatility to add any scent you desire using necessary oil. Attempt integrating coconut oil with the substance Lye, which you can buy online. The lye provides the soap natural texture and holds it together.
Coconut Oil Medicinal Uses
1. Battle Inflammation–Coconut oil supports both a healthy liver, and kidneys. Inning accordance with scientists, virgin coconut oil, prepared without chemical or high-heat treatment shows a repressive effect on chronic inflammation. As inflammation is among the leading causes of many chronic diseases, this research study supports regular consumption of virgin coconut oil to help fight inflammation.
2. Increase Immunity–Coconut oil’s unique nutrition profile that is rich with lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid provides for strong antiviral, antifungal, antimicrobial, and anti-bacterial properties that have an immune improving impact. By fighting these components present in the body, the body immune system is better geared up to react effectively when assaulted.
3. Prevent Bone Loss and Osteoporosis Risk–Free radicals and oxidative stress are linked to the development of osteoporosis, a metabolic disorder. Inning accordance with a recent study, virgin coconut oil works in preserving bone structure, and avoiding bone loss in estrogen-deficient rats. The report specified virgin coconut oil due to its high polyphenols and puts in antioxidant properties and you ought to take 3 tbsp daily for best results.
4. Alzheimer’s Treatment and Brain Health Protector–There are a number of reports that coconut oil might be an efficient natural treatment for alzheimer’s disease. A current double blind study suggests taking 1 tbsp 3x daily.
5. Sleep Aid–Coconut oil is an ideal carrier oil when making calming and peaceful natural home remedy using necessary oils, like lavender or chamomile oil, that can help in reducing anxiety and help in getting an excellent night sleep.
6. Acne Fighter–Acne is a serious concern for adults in addition to teenagers and is commonly caused by bacteria overgrowth or an imbalance in oil on the skin. Coconut oil acts as a natural antibiotic, eliminating harmful bacteria that leads to serious breakouts. Attempt blending the oil with tea tree oil and raw honey for included benefits and effectiveness.
7. Cancer Protection and Defense–Coconut oil and medium-chain triglycerides have been shown to supply a “potent antitumor impact and upkeep of a regular body immune system”.
8. Candida Killer–Coconut oil includes caprylic acid which has anti-microbial properties that can eliminate yeast and candida albicans. In a recent research study, scientists discovered that coconut oil was active versus species of Candida at 100% concentration, higher than the drug fluconazole. Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to your diet, and use pure coconut oil straight to impacted areas two times daily, till symptoms fix. Follow my candida fungus treatment protocol to help beat Candida.
9. Fat loss Supplement–The MCT’s discovered in coconut oil have been proven to support weight loss and help your body burn fat for energy. Sounds odd right? Adding fat to your diet to burn fat? But the truth is not all fats are created equivalent. Include a tablespoon a day to profit of these fatty acids that might help to reduce abdominal fat. According to a study released in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, usage of MCT oil leads to a higher rate of weight and fat mass loss than olive oil.
10. Hormone Balancer–The healthy fats in coconut oil support the thyroid and adrenal glands which can lower cortisol to naturally stabilize hormones. Coconut oils helps to suppress inflammation, while supporting healthy metabolic process, two things that are vital for well balanced hormones. The lauric acid, and other substances support the thyroid and adrenal glands. This helps to reduce cortisol, and naturally balance the hormones.
11. Digestive Support–Coconut oil is easy to digest and contains substances that ruin bad bacteria, promote growth of probiotics and helps recover leaking gut. Coconut oil promotes the growth of healthy probiotics in the digestive tract. The anti-bacterial, antifungal, and antimicrobial properties help to control parasites, and fungis, while assisting in the efficient absorption of vital nutrients.
12. Blood sugar level Stabilizer and Diabetes Preventer–Coconut oil can help stabilize blood glucose levels and has been medically proven to improve diabetes. Coconut oil can help balance blood sugar levels by motivating efficient secretion of insulin from the pancreas. In a 2009 study, scientists discovered that medium-chain fatty acids “might therefore be beneficial for preventing weight problems and insulin resistance.”
13. Ezcema and Psoriasis Cure Treatment–Coconut oil can be used as cream to naturally recover dry and flaking skin for those with Eczema and Psoriasis. Mix coconut oil, shea butter and geranium oil for the very best advantages.
14. Balance Cholesterol Levels–The healthy fats in coconut oil have been proven to increase HDL cholesterol and lower LDL cholesterol supporting heart health. According to a study examined by Harvard Medical School, coconut oil intake increases HDL cholesterol, and enhances the cholesterol ratio.
15. Constipation Relief–Many individuals swear by coconut to treat chronic constipation and ease bloating. Attempt taking one tablespoon of coconut oil in the early morning or before bed in order stay routine. The oil penetrates the digestive track and keeps things running efficiently by killing off damaging bacteria and enabling your gutflora to re-balance.
16. New research is now showing that medium-chain fatty acids and coconut oil are useful to heart health and help lower hypertension.
17. Help Sick Pets–Just like their human caretakers, dogs and felines can gain from the addition of coconut oil to their diet. Pets with digestive upset can take advantage of a teaspoon or 2 of coconut oil mixed into their food. Skin allergic reactions, irritations, and wounds can be relieved, and healing accelerated with a topical application. Unlike other salves, considering that it is edible coconut oil, there is no health risk if they lick it off their coats.
Coconut Oil for Pregnancies, Infants and Children
- As a fabric diaper safe diaper cream (simply rub on baby’s bottom).
- With apple cider vinegar as a natural treatment for lice that really works.
- In place of Lanolin cream on nursing nipples to sooth irritation (also great for baby!).
- Nursing mamas can take a couple tablespoons a day (and Vitamin D) to increase milk supply and nutrients.
- To assist sooth the itch of chicken pox or toxin ivy.
- Use on skin to avoid stretch marks during pregnancy.
- Used directly on the perineum to assist recover after birth.
- To obtain rid of cradle cap on baby- simply massage in to head, leave on for a few minutes and carefully rinse with a warm wash cloth.
Coconut Oil Natural Remedies
- Coconut oil – oil pulling chews with necessary oilsIn coconut oil pulling chews and oil pulling for oral health.
- Rubbed on the inside of your nose it may help ease allergic reaction symptoms.
- The antimicrobial and antibacterial properties make it valuable topically to kill yeast or yeast infections.
- The antimicrobial properties and beneficial fats make coconut oil a powerhouse in Remineralizing Toothpaste.
- Can help sooth psoriasis or eczema.
- Oil pulling with coconut oil and a drop of oregano oil helps enhance gum health.
- Can help enhance cholesterol ratios.
- Can help reduce look of varicose veins when used topically.
- After preliminary heat is gone, can help speed recovery of sunburn.
- Mix a tablespoon into hot tea to assist speed recovery from cold or influenza.
- It’s anti-inflammatory properties can help decrease arthritis.
- Can reduce the itch of mosquito bites.
- Can help fix acne when used routinely.
- A tablespoon merged a cup of warm tea can help sooth a sore throat.
- In homemade vapor rub.
- Can be used internally and externally to speed recovery from UTIs.
- In a salve for cracked heels.
- Naturally cleans up cold sores.
- Ingesting coconut oil daily can help with allergic reaction symptoms.
- Some individuals say ingesting coconut oil daily can increase mental alertness.
Coconut Oil Nutrition Profile
Coconut oil, like other plant-based oils, does not consist of cholesterol. The large bulk (more than 85%) of the fats in coconut oil are medium-chain triglycerides. These medium chain fatty acids (MCFA’s) found in coconuts has incredible health advantages; they are simple to for the body to burn as fuel for energy and have anti-microbial properties, in addition to other essential characteristics.
Coconut oil includes 3 unique fatty acids that are responsible for its different health advantages:
- Lauric acid
- Capric acid
- Caprylic acid
These are some of the rarest substances discovered in nature and the reason why this oil is so useful.
Lauric acid has a specific structure that enables the body to absorb it quickly. As soon as absorbed, it morphs into monolaurin, discovered in human breast milk, and coconut milk and oil. Monolaurin is known for its antiviral, anti-micorbial, and anti-bacterial properties.
In addition, coconut oil includes linoleic acid, oleic acid, phenolic acid, myristic acid, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, and iron.
Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil vs. Refined Coconut Oil
To reap the numerous benefits of coconut oil, it is vital to select organic unrefined coconut oil, preferably produced from a “wet-milling” process. Organic, unrefined coconut oil is extracted from fresh coconut meat; not from dried coconut.
The oil is then separated from the water, through centrifuge, boiling or refrigeration. Fermentation is the favored approach to make sure that the coconut oil keeps its intrinsic health benefits.
Unlike olive oil, coconut oil is thermally stable, and the anti-oxidants are not lost through the heating procedure. Multiple clinical research studies conducted in Sri Lanka, Malaysia, and other countries where coconuts are native have shown that the wet-milling fermentation approach followed by “hot extracted virgin coconut oil” produces the highest level of antioxidants and decreases bad cholesterol, while raising good cholesterol.
While the heat procedure may seem counter-intuitive based upon what we understand about heating and the destruction of nutrients, coconut oil responds differently to heat than other foods. For instance, the case with harmful GMO oils is typically the opposite; they have been warmed to the point of oxidizing and becoming toxic.
According to a research study published in Food Science and Biotechnology, virgin coconut oil that is produced with heat, results in the highest number of anti-oxidants. Researchers think that this may be because of the release of polyphenols from the bound structure.
Refined coconut oil has a higher smoke point and is devoid of the coconut flavor. These coconut oils are mass-produced, generally through a chemical distillation procedure that begins with desiccated coconut that is not fresh. The coconuts are more bleached and deodorized to make them “more tasty” to the American customer.
Some of these fine-tuned coconut oils are even hydrogenated, which turns this healthy natural oil, into an artificial trans-fat. For this reason, prevent refined coconut oils as much as you possibly can.